CTO Strategy Document Part 2: The Role of the Chief Technology Officer in Promoting Innovation

This section of the HHS CTO Strategy outlines the Chief Technology Officer’s role in the Department of Health and Human Services. You have until 8 PM ET on July 31, 2013 to submit feedback.

Part 2: http://www.hhs.gov/open/discussion/cto-strategy-doc-section-2.pdf

Please provide your comments and votes!

Provide feedback on section two of the HHS CTO Vision Document

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Promote Policies that Allow Researchers to Engage in Online Dialogues

Innovation benefits tremendously from the mix of different ideas and opinions. Encouraging scientist to more openly engage in social media (or other online forums) in areas related to their research could help spur additional ideas or provide additional collaboration opportunities. This idea was recently highlighted in a report entitled Grading Government Transparency - Scientists’ Freedom to Speak (and Tweet) at Federal Agencies http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/scientific_integrity/grading-government-transparency-report.pdf.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Develop Tools and Processes for Better Institutional Knowledge Management (KM)

The CTO-sponsored programs that have been developed in support of internal innovation combined with improvements in internal Dept-wide collaboration (e.g. Yammer) are tremendous strides forward. I think that one of the missing pieces, however, is with Knowledge Management (KM). This goes beyond real time collaboration but gets into how the Department captures lessons learned and shares that information seamlessly to everyone across the organization who might benefit from it. I believe that World Bank has been able to successfully use KM to improve its programs and workforce and I would suggest that we might want to learn more about their…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Help Develop Novel Non-Monetary Compensation/ Motivation Approaches

I would suggest that innovation within government is more frequently driven by the intrinsic motivation of employees rather than via extrinsic motivation. However, being skillful at intrinsic motivation is a complex skill that not all managers may be understand or be comfortable with. It may be useful to develop a "toolkit" of approaches for managers that can help them navigate this area (possibly adapted from private sector organizations like Zappos, Joie de Vivre Hotels, etc.).

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Help Managers with Performance Language that Rewards Innovation and Experimentation

It would be of significant value if the CTO's office could work with HR to develop language and incentives that could be used as part of staff performance plans and appraisals (PMAPs) Having approved language that could be used by managers interested in promoting innovation could help mitigate against fears of being held accountable for trying new approaches that are not "successful" (in at least a traditional sense). For example, language that rewarded risk taking and improved organizational knowledge would be extremely helpful.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

CTO Strategy Document Part 2: The Role of the Chief Technology Officer in Promoting Innovation

Feedback and Knowledge Base